Discrete Mathematics DSBA2019/2020
The first topic of our course is ``What is a Proof?". It is the first week ``Making Convincing Arguments" on the Coursera course . It is recommended (but not obligated) to study the whole course.
The program of the colloquium is ready. The examples of problems would be updated.
Colloquium will be on December 12. The timetable would be available soon.
Schedule for office hours and consultations
|Teacher / Assistant||Monday||Tuesday||Wednesday||Thursday||Friday|
|Alexander A. Rubtsov||17:00 - 18:00, room 617||17:00 - 18:00, room 511|
|Alexey K. Kovalev|
|Boris R. Danilov||09:30 - 12:00, room 623|
1. L. Lovasz, K. Vesztergombi. Discrete Mathematics. Lecture Notes, Yale University, 1999. http://www.cs.elte.hu/~lovasz/dmbook.ps
2. C. Stein, R. Drysdale, K. Bogart. Discrete mathematics for computer scientists. Pearson; 1 edition 2010
3. J. Anderson. Discrete Mathematics With Combinatroics. Prentice Hall; 2 edition 2003
7. K. Rosen. Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications. McGraw-Hill; 7th edition 2007
4. M. Vyalyi, V. Podolsky, A. Rubtsov. D. Shvarts, A. Shen. Lectures on Discrete Mathematics Draft
5. A. Shen. Mathematical induction (C1) 3rd ed., Moscow: MCCME, 2007, 32 p. http://www.mccme.ru/free-books/shen/shen-induction.pdf
6. N. K. Vereshchagin, A. Shen. Introduction to the set theory. 4th ed., Moscow: MCCME, 2012, 112 с. http://www.mccme.ru/free-books/shen/shen-logic-part1-2.pdf
- R. Distel. Graph theory, GTM 173, 5th ed. 2016. Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg, Graduate Texts in Mathematics, Vol. 173, 447 p.
- R. Hammack. Book of Proof, Virginia Commonwealth University 2013, https://www.people.vcu.edu/~rhammack/BookOfProof/BookOfProof.pdf
- S. Jukna, Extremal Combinatorics. Texts in Theoretical Computer Science. An EATCS Series. 2nd ed. 2011, XXIV, 308 p.
Intermediate grade 1
Cumulative grade-1 = 50% colloquium-1 + 50% homework
Intermediate grade (module 2) = 60% cumulative grade-1 + 40% intermediate exam (module 2)
Intermediate grade 2
Cumulative grade = (3/14) colloquium-1 + (3/14)colloquium-2 + (3/14) intermediate exam + (15/42) homework
Intermediate grade = 70% cumulative grade + 30% final exam
Grade “homework assignments” is an average grade of all the homework assignments in the course.
Intermediate grade 2 is the final grade for the course included in a diploma supplement.
Rounding of the cumulative grade, intermediate and final grades must be performed according to the following rules. Rounding down for marks between 1 and 5, rounding by the rules of arithmetic for marks between 5 and 6, and rounding up for all the other marks.
There is no possibility to get an extra point to compensate the low cumulative grade.