Discrete Mathematics DSBA2019/2020
The first topic of our course is ``What is a Proof?". It is the first week ``Making Convincing Arguments" on the Coursera course . It is recommended (but not obligated) to study the whole course.
|Problems week 1||Keywords week 1||Properties of Boolean Formulas|
|Problems week 2||Keywords week 2|
Recommended books (New!)
- L. Lovasz, K. Vesztergombi. Discrete Mathematics. Lecture Notes, Yale University, 1999. http://www.cs.elte.hu/~lovasz/dmbook.ps
- C. Stein, R. Drysdale, K. Bogart. Discrete mathematics for computer scientists. Pearson; 1 edition 2010
- J. Anderson. Discrete Mathematics With Combinatroics. Prentice Hall; 2 edition 2003
- M. Vyalyi, V. Podolsky, A. Rubtsov. D. Shvarts, A. Shen. Lectures on Discrete Mathematics Draft
- A. Shen. Mathematical induction (C1) 3rd ed., Moscow: MCCME, 2007, 32 p. http://www.mccme.ru/free-books/shen/shen-induction.pdf
- N. K. Vereshchagin, A. Shen. Introduction to the set theory. 4th ed., Moscow: MCCME, 2012, 112 с. http://www.mccme.ru/free-books/shen/shen-logic-part1-2.pdf
- R. Distel. Graph theory, GTM 173, 5th ed. 2016. Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg, Graduate Texts in Mathematics, Vol. 173, 447 p.
- R. Hammack. Book of Proof, Virginia Commonwealth University 2013, https://www.people.vcu.edu/~rhammack/BookOfProof/BookOfProof.pdf
- S. Jukna, Extremal Combinatorics. Texts in Theoretical Computer Science. An EATCS Series. 2nd ed. 2011, XXIV, 308 p.
Intermediate grade 1
Cumulative grade-1 = 50% colloquium-1 + 50% homework
Intermediate grade (module 2) = 60% cumulative grade-1 + 40% intermediate exam (module 2)
Intermediate grade 2
Cumulative grade = (3/14) colloquium-1 + (3/14)colloquium-2 + (3/14) intermediate exam + (15/42) homework
Intermediate grade = 70% cumulative grade + 30% final exam
Grade “homework assignments” is an average grade of all the homework assignments in the course.
Intermediate grade 2 is the final grade for the course included in a diploma supplement.
Rounding of the cumulative grade, intermediate and final grades must be performed according to the following rules. Rounding down for marks between 1 and 5, rounding by the rules of arithmetic for marks between 5 and 6, and rounding up for all the other marks.
There is no possibility to get an extra point to compensate the low cumulative grade.